Effort supports Mayor Harp’s initiative to cut municipal-building energy use 20 percent by 2018
The Youth Conservation Initiative (YCI) and Energize Connecticut, in partnership with the Energy Efficiency Fund and The United Illuminating Company, will begin canvassing New Haven neighborhoods on July 8, 2014 to help educate residents and business owners on the importance of reducing energy use through lighting upgrades and other energy efficiency services.
YCI will canvass through neighborhoods including Fair Haven, Dixwell, New Hall, The Hill, Beaver Hill and Dwight. The ENERGY STAR® Lighting Program is designed to educate residents about the benefits of energy-efficient lighting such as light emitting diodes (LEDs). LEDs use 80 percent less energy and last 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs and:
- Are dimmable
- Turn on instantly
- Produce less heat
- Are environmentally friendly, and
- Available in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors, including a warm yellow that matches the look and feel of incandescents
Services provided through the Small Business Energy Advantage program help business owners understand their energy consumption. These services include:
- Thorough energy assessments
- Comprehensive proposals that include all eligible energy efficiency measures, complete with material and installation costs and estimated savings
- Incentives up to 50 percent of the installed cost
- Zero-interest and low-cost financing (based on eligibility), on bill-financing available, and
- A one-year warranty on contractors’ parts and labor
“This program and the canvassing efforts have been a huge success in Bridgeport and other communities. We’re looking to touch as many customers as possible within the New Haven community,” said Marissa Westbrook, Manager- Residential Energy Services, The United Illuminating Company. “Our target for this year is to reach more than 10,000 homes and businesses in New Haven. If residents and business owners see YCI staff, they should feel free to walk right up to them and start the process to save on their energy bills.”
In addition, we offer a turn-key, energy assessment and in-home services program called Home Energy Solutions to help you save on your energy bills and improve the comfort of your home. If you are interested in this program please sign-up for the program with YCI staff.